Re: WOID #VI-32. The Day After

America: The Good Neighbor.
The following is an editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair,
a Canadian television commentator. What follows is the full text of his
trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional Record:

"This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the
most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the
earth.  Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were
lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions
of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries
is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United
States.
When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans
who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on
the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.  When earthquakes hit
distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in to help. This
spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes.  Nobody
helped. The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of
dollars into discouraged countries.
Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent,
warmongering Americans. I'd like to see just one of those countries that
is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own
airplane. Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the
Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why
don't they fly them? Why do all the international airlines except
Russia fly American planes? Why does no other land on earth even
consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese
technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy, and
you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy, and you find
men on the moon - not once, but several times and safely home again. You
talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store
window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not
pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them,
unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars
from ma and pa at home to spend here. When the railways of France,
Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans
who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York
Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still
broke.
I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other
people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced
to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even
during the San Francisco earthquake. Our neighbors have faced it alone,
and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get kicked
around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when
they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are
gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of
those."