Re: New York City

For the past two days I have been responding to frantic emails from
friends far away who have been unable to reach me by phone (I live in
downtown Manhattan, about 1mile north of the WTC).
The response I give is that we are physically OK, but everything else is
debatable. So many deaths and nothing will ever be the same.

Yesterday, by the river on the West Side Highway, long lines of trucks,
vehicles carrying equipment, rescue machinery, and rescue workers were
heading into the smoke. Coming up the other way were cars carrying
debris, and dusty tired rescue workers out. And all along the route New
Yorkers spontaneously gathered, on foot and on bikes, applauding them
and yelling thank yous.

SuzeRotolo