A truth?

The following article was published by the Jerusalem Post, 14 September,
2001 under the title: "Foreign Press Association protests PA threats to
Journalists."

The URL is: http://www.jpost.com/Editions/2001/09/14/News/News.34841.html

By Jerusalem Post Staff
September, 14 2001

JERUSALEM(September 14) The Foreign Press Association expressed deep
concern yesterday over life threats made to journalists by the Palestinian
Authority, after PA security personnel on Tuesday tried to prevent photo
and video coverage of a rally in Nablus where hundreds of Palestinians
celebrated the terror attacks in New York and Washington.

The videographer, on assignment for Associated Press Television News, was
summoned to a PA security office and told that the material must not be
aired. Calls in the name of the Tanzim militia, an armed group associated
with Yasser Arafat's Fatah group, warned him he would be held responsible,
and made what he interpreted as threats on his life.

Several Palestinian Authority officials spoke to AP in Jerusalem urging
that the material not be broadcast. Ahmed Abdel Rahman, Arafat's cabinet
secretary, said the Palestinian Authority "cannot guarantee the life" of
the cameraman if the footage was broadcast.

The cameraman then requested that the matenal not be aired. In light of the
danger, APTN has not released the footage of the rally in Nablus.

The protest by AP Chief of Bureau Dan Perry said, "I ask the assurances of
the Palestinian Authority that you will protect our journalists from
threats and attempts at intimidation, and that no harm would come to our
freelance cameraman from distribution of the film.
"We strongly condemn the direct threats made against local videographers by
local militia members, and the attitude of Palestinian officials who made
no effort to counter the threats, control the situation, or to guarantee
the safety of the journalists and the freedom of the press," said the FPA.
"We hold the PA fully responsible for the safety of each and every
journalist operating within their areas, especially those who were filming
and covering Tuesday's events in Nablus.

Asked by telephone about the allegations of harassment, Palestinian
Information Minister Yasser Abed Rabbo said: "We deny that."
(AP contributed to this report.)

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick