Re: printers

Hi Martha!
 A couple of years ago I invested in an archival printer (due to the need of=
=20
refurbishing old photos I inherited that go back 5 or more generations).  I=20
own the Epson Stylus Photo 2000P and have been delighted with it. It will=20
print a document on roll paper that measures as large as 13" x 44" (great fo=
r=20
accordian style books)  and of course it handles all the standard sizes usin=
g=20
the sheet feeder, ie. 11 x 17, 13 x 19, etc.  I particularly like that it=20
allows the user to define any size (as long as the chosen size falls within=20
the maximum sizes mentioned above).=20

The inks are archival and lightfast testing has been done on various Epson=20
papers sold for this printer.  Epson says of course you must use their paper=
s=20
for them to feel comfortable saying it is archival...and also their archival=
=20
ink.  I order my supplies online thru the Epson store which I find to be ver=
y=20
efficient.  The black ink cartridge sells for $29.70 and the color for=20
$34.20.=20

The archival testing was done by Wilhelm research....unfortunately their=20
website is down right now but a message says they expect to be up again this=
=20
October. I don't believe I can attach their test results I saved (2 years=20
ago) to the list but I'll send it to your email separately.  - Wilhelm=20
Imaging Research, Inc. conducts research and issues test reports on the imag=
e=20
permanence of digital and traditional photographic print materials
http://www.wilhelm-research.com=A0

Regarding the paper weight...I have successfully printed on a wide variety o=
f=20
papers without any problems and there is a paper thickness slding lever that=
=20
you can move from "0" to "+" (greater thickness). I have printed on card=20
stock, vellum, decal paper, transparencies, needlepoint fabric (which I tape=
d=20
w/double sided tape at each end onto cardstock and then removed), watercolor=
=20
paper, brown-paper-bag paper, canvas for printers, and various photopapers.=20

I find the quality of the print to be excellent in every way.  The=20
catch....its pricey to buy and to use (archival paper and ink).  It sells fo=
r=20
$899 on Epson's website (Epson.com) ...but I've heard of people buying it fo=
r=20
less on other sites that sell printers so it may be worth researching. I kep=
t=20
my old Hewlitt Packard for everyday use.=20

Sandy Nault  >^,,^<
"I always try to believe 6 impossible things before breakfast"
The White Queen- Alice in Wonderland