[A different kind of] Laser printer vs. inkject

I would select laser hands down, but not your normal laser type.  This past
February I got into a program
from Xerox (at www.freecolorprinters.com
) for their Techtronix Phaser laser color printers.  They use ink sticks
(similar to a crayon) instead of liquid. The difference is incredible,
including the texture. When I print out a high-resolution digital picture on
the "high quality" setting, it resembles a photograph and has the texture of
a magazine page--and this is from printing on generic brand 20lb copy paper
(no more need to buy fancy and expensive photopapers). If any of you check
out the site and signup/qualify, put me down as the referrer (Bookseller
Monthly  :)   )  These are really great printers, plus they print much
quicker than ink/bubble jets.  I print in upwards of 95,000 copies per month
on this machine, and it is what we are using again for our publication.
Archival problems may be the fact that you have a layer of wax on the page,
so heat would have to be considered. I have never had pages of my
publications stick together. The printer does not heat the page to any
degree near what a normal laser printer would either.

Joe Spoor
Editor/Publisher Bookseller Monthly