Re: [A different kind of] Laser printer vs. inkject

Ok, I'll have to vouch for Joe that the Techtronix Phaser is pretty
cool.  We use one at the Jaffe Collection at Florida Atlantic University.
In fact, we're on the same program with Xerox, where the printer is
basically free as long as you purchase a monthly minimum of ink. This is
another print method requiring heat, and the results really are pretty
amazing, especially regarding images. Great color, and no bubbly dots. I've
had great success hand-feeding heavy card stocks through, so there's some
room to play with this machine. Everything you print, however, has a
certain inescapable gloss to it, which you may or may not like, and most
things retain a paraffin fragrance (think of an open box of Crayola
crayons) for a very long while. And very often the printed type reminds me
of thermography. This, to me, is not a good thing, but some of you may
think this is just grand.

Some advice: always keep a good supply of ink on hand. If you run out of
any one color, the machine comes to a screeching halt. Our order for yellow
ink back in June somehow ended up in Missoula, Montana, and we didn't
realize this til we ran out of yellow a week or two ago. Now the machine is
grounded--we can't even print simple black & white--until the yellow arrives.

John Cutrone,
patiently waiting