removing old adhesive

I am working on an old family hymnal and find that I will need to remove
adhesive from the spine.  Also soft leather " endpapers" are used to
attach the book block to the soft covers.  It would be a plus if I could
save these rather than cut them off.

What suggestions are there for adhesive removal on the spine and perhaps
for the covers as well.

Thanks
FH