Re: ink jet vs. laser

Don't just think about it, understand it.
         The most common reason for toner not adhering well to a substrate
(e.g. paper) is that the toner was not fused properly. The fuser roller on
laser printers and copiers heats the toner and the substrate and presses
the toner against the substrate. If sufficient heat is available for an
adequate amount of time, the fusing process occurs. More heat and/or time
are needed for thick substrates than for thin. The fuser roller loses heat
when it is in contact with the substrate (and the toner). Large sheets of
substrate draw more heat from the fuser roller than do small sheets.
Pausing between printing sheets allows time for the fuser roller to reheat.
         A second, less common, problem is using coated paper or another
smooth surface that does not allow the interlocking of toner with fibers of
the substrate.
         The standard test for adherence of toner to the substrate is as
follows: Get a roll of 3M #230 drafting tape, preferably one inch wide, at
Quill or almost any office supply store. Turn back a half-inch of the end
of the tape, adhesive side to adhesive side, to form a handle. Tear off the
piece of tape about 4 inches long, and smooth it onto the copy with four
fingers of one hand. (Don't use your thumb or fingernails.) Pull the handle
(end of the tape) back along the top of the remainder of the tape, making a
180 degree peel test. If any toner is visible on the adhesive side of the
tape, the copy has failed the test.
         Several laser printers, e.g. Hewlett-Packard model 8100, allow one
to adjust the fuser roller temperature.
         For further information about toner stability, see this topic on
my home page at http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~revans4/home.html

>In a message dated 10/2/01 6:10:50 AM, jcutrone@FAU.EDU writes:
>
><< Referring back to Jules' comments, laser
>printers operate by using toner to apply images to paper, while inkjets use
>ink that becomes part of the paper. And I guess there's a possibility that
>toner won't stick forever. >>
>
>Since toner is also what copiers use, I can say that I have had experiences
>where the toner does come off the paper. Several years ago, for my annual
>Christmas story, I used a parchment type paper that did not accept the copier
>toner very well. The text offset onto facing pages and in other ways rubbed
>off or offset onto other papers, the envelope, etc. Something to think about.
>Barbara Harman

Rupert N. Evans
Prairie Publications
101 W Windsor Road #4107