Re: letterpress...

Sue
>   Are letterpress machines considered 'antique' in some circles??

Probably. Many--perhaps most--of them are older than the first Mustang, and folks
consider that an antique car!

>   I know that I've introduced myself to Lino-cut printing, and Block printing as
>   well as 'rubber stamping' as a result of my Book Arts work - these techniques
>   weren't really mentioned in school as 'contemporary' (as you can imagine).  So
>   I'm wondering if these older methods of creating reproductions (etching, stone
>   Litho, and etc.) are being 'revived' by Book Artists???
>
>   Any thoughts????

Go to any good art center or university art department that includes printmaking.
Relief printing (linocuts, woodcuts) is alive an well, as is intaglio! There is
another kind of art printing, that combines the relier and planar methods. It's
called monoprints. Ask them about that, too!

>   Also, any ideas about how one finds a Letterpress - either to own or to 'rent'
>   or to commission work from the owner of said Letterpress? Or even just to visit
>   to see in working progress?  Anyone in Oklahoma??

Ask locally, especially at a good art center or art department. Go to a printing
plant and ask them! Letterpress is still around, at least for certain niche jobs,
such as those funky posterboards tacked to telephone poles advertising boxing
matches, blues festivals, and the like.

I went to a national design convention last year, and one of the speakers ran just
such a letterpress printing establishement in Nashville. It unabashedly pushed the
retro look of its products, along with some nouveau design styles.