From: Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at http://www.philobiblon.com
[mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU]On Behalf Of Sue Clancy
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 4:32 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: letterpress...

Ah yes, Thank you very much for the explanation!!!
I hadn't found any answers in my Printing books - your explanation sortof
explains why <grin>
Letterpress doesn't seem to be a technique in use by 'modern' printers -
I've
read of and experienced to a degree (from a pre-press/graphic design
standpoint)
the Photolithography process'.  Of course the Desktop Publishing arena is
very
familiar.

Are letterpress machines considered 'antique' in some circles?? (Not meaning
offend, just seeking explanation as to why I may have missed any mention of
this
technique in my Commercial Art training... etc.)
I know that I've introduced myself to Lino-cut printing, and Block printing
as
well as 'rubber stamping' as a result of my Book Arts work - these
techniques
weren't really mentioned in school as 'contemporary' (as you can imagine).
So
I'm wondering if these older methods of creating reproductions (etching,
stone
Litho, and etc.) are being 'revived' by Book Artists???

Any thoughts????

Also, any ideas about how one finds a Letterpress - either to own or to
'rent'
or to commission work from the owner of said Letterpress? Or even just to
visit
to see in working progress?  Anyone in Oklahoma??

Thanks again,

Sue Clancy - a fairly new 'maker of Artist's Books' full of curiosity who
lives
in Oklahoma....