Re: letterpress...

Thanks Mare,

I am familiar with the terms Em En and Leading and so forth - and had been somewhat
aware that they were derived from 'old printing systems' - but that was about as
specific as my old college professors had gotten.  When I worked as a graphic
designer for a printer we were so focused on 'getting the work out' that not much
'history' was covered. <smile>  At least not beyond pointing at a decrepit machine
in a corner of the basement and talking about 'that old relic' with contempt as
compared to 'computers' and 'the way we do it now'.

I've enjoyed my forays into 'hand-binding' and old printing techniques such as
wood-cuts and block printing in general.  I'm looking forward to learning more!!

When I began as a graphic designer we still did the 'paste-up' method - strips of
type were cut and pasted up. etc.  Then quickly computers came in and presto my
place of employment (at that time) got rid of most all the old equipment and in
came computers.  I was in college for the graphic-arts at the same time I was
employed as a graphic designer ('80's). So, I quickly found myself in the minority
of those with both the old 'paste-up' skills (and cutting ruby-lith and amber-lith
etc.) and the new computer skills.  Computers seemed to also throw out all the
'printing history' over-night - as in many of the professors who taught the
'paste-up' methods etc. were retired and replaced with the 'computer graphics
professionals' - many of whom were also new to the field.

Curiously, I find myself increasingly interested in 'the old ways' <smile> and I'm
enjoying the learning and integrating the 'old' with the 'new'!!
Thanks again!

Sue