Re: letterpress...

Sue,
    Where do you live? If therre is a living history museum in your area,
there is a chance that they demonstrate letterpress methods. Look at the
LETPRESS archives, correspond with l'pressers, contact print shops in your
area and ask about letterpress. If there are still old relics in the corner,
it may well be because it still holds a place in someone's heart. Find that
person and ask what it is and how it works, and the chances are, you've not
only made a friend, but gained a mentor.
    Briar Press has a pretty good letterpress web page, definately worth
looking at. Letterpress is a pretty large community, there are organizations
and guilds, educational opportunities, etc. There are also links from the
Briar Press page.
    There are tons of presses and related items all over the world, still in
regular use, and often for sale. I, personally have 5 presses and about 200
fonts of type ready for setting. My problem is, I got too much equipment, and
outgrew my shop. I'm now in the process of putting in a 2nd story, to make
the shop workable again.
I wish you the best, and if I can help any more, let me know.

Bruce Graham