Re: book cloth

I've had some good and bad luck using fusible web to make my own book cloth.
I originally used a very rubbery web product that worked perfectly.  I fused
it to the cloth and then just applied the other side of the web to bookboard
with PVA.  I haven't been able to repeat this success as I can't find the
same web product.

I then tried another fusible interfacing.  The PVA seeped through and
stained the cloth.  It needed a paper backing.

I tried a lightweight fusible web adhering it to the cloth on one side and a
Japanese Sumi paper on the other.  This worked the best.  PVA didn't leak
through and stain the cloth.  The whole sandwich was pliable enough to go
around edges and make sharp corners.  Of course, you are limited to the
width of paper and fusible you can fine.  I found a butted or lapped seam
shows through the cloth.

I only used 100% cotton cloth in my experiments because of the need to
repeatedly iron at medium to high heat settings.  This method would be
limited to fabrics that can withstand the heat needed to melt the fusible
web.

Stitch Witchery didn't work because of the coarseness of the webbing.  Even
after it had melted enough to stick to the fabric and the paper you could
still feel the strands of web though the fabric/paper sandwich.  It didn't
feel smooth like retail bookcloth.  I would look for the finest fusible web
I could find.  I'm sorry I don't remember the brand I preferred but I would
imagine it was either Pellon's or Ailene's fusible web.  Those are the
brands that the local fabric stores carries.

Cathy Dery