Re: letterpress...

Sue---

i live in bangor, me, which is a fairly small city (town?), and we still have
one commercial printer that does letterpress only. It's run by two brothers
who've been around for lots of years. if you look around or ask at big print
shops (the kind that do runs of thousands) they may be able to point you to a
letterpress shop. this shop does overruns for the computer print shops in the
area, as well as other sorts of jobs. i have my christmas cards printed there
every year--- i'm a calligrapher so i do the lettering, send it off to a
place in owosso, wisconsin, and they make a raised metal plate of the
lettering. then the letterpress folks plop it into their press and print out
my cards.

i learned letterpress in art classes at the university of maine---someone had
donated an old vandercook press to the university so we were able to use it
in book classes. ask questions of all the book arts people you know and
sooner or later, you'll run into someone who has a press in their garage or
knows where one is to use or buy. they're not necessarily expensive to buy,
but they're big and very heavy, and therefore expensive to move.

good luck!
LeeAnne Mallonee