Book Cloth With Fusible Backing

> What does anyone know about the problems, if any, with using a fusible
> interface, such as Stitch Witchery, to stabilize cloth for book covers?

I have successfully used "Heat 'n Bond" (available in any fabric store) to
adhere cloth (in my case hand marbled silk crepe) to Davy board.  In fact, I
literally ironed the book together by ironing the "Heat 'n Bond" to the
silk, and then peeling off the backing off and ironing the piece to the
front, spine, and back cover of Davy board.  I cannot vouch for its archival
property.

 There are 3 types of "Heat 'n Bond" light, medium, and heavy.  I would NOT
advise the heavy...and care must be taken when first ironing onto the fabric
that you not apply too much heat and have the adhesive seep through to the
front of the fabric.

The advantage of "Heat 'n Bond" over "Stitch Witchery" is that it fully
covers the back of the fabric.  "Stitch Witchery" is a spider-like web of
fusing, leaving empty areas where the bonding doesn't adhere.

I would recommend this method for casual, fun bookbinding.  Not for serious
or classical bookbinding.

Experiment, and have fun

d.guffey