Re: book cloth

The method I use for putting fabrics on books and boxes is to back
them with paper using PVA. This is particularly useful for large work.
I'm currently doing an edition of boxes that are about 34" square, so
the piece of cloth for the box case is 6 feet by 36". It is thin
satin, which stains easily. Using roll paper (Japanese paper from NY
Central in this case), I apply the PVA with a 9" foam paint roller,
let it dry, and iron it on. The ironing is done on the fabric side,
through a sheet of paper. I used to use Elvace 1874, which had great
heat-setting properties, but on this project I'm using Jade adhesive,
and it works well. Then I apply the PVA to the board the same way and
iron the fabric onto the board. I do the turn-ins with wet PVA. After
the case is made it is still "ironable" to get out any irregularities,
which is important with satin because its reflectivity shows the
slightest deviation.

As far as "archival" goes, that's a big issue. I asked Prof. Norbert
Baer about Jade recently, when I saw him at the Grolier Club. You may
recall that he did the adhesive research about 30 years ago at what is
now called the NYU Conservation Center. It was reprinted in the Guild
of Bookworkers' Journal at the time. Jade 403 tested very well. Using
the Tinius-Olsen folding test meter with 1 kg weight, my recollection
is that after 16 days in the aging oven it survived something like 400
folds. That was the best of any adhesive at the time. If anyone has
that issue of the GBW Journal it may be useful to post the reference
to this list, or to correct my information.

According to Prof. Baer, however, that info may be of limited use, as
we know nothing about what is now called Jade adhesive. The company
changed hands since the tests were done and we have no information
about whether the formula they now use is significantly different from
the old Jade 403 chemistry. Elvace 1874 also tested very well 30 years
ago, but that was when the Elvace line was DuPont and contained
several thousand specialty recipes.

If you want to see what the satin looks like when mounted this way,
there are some photos at:
http://www.minsky.com/lost.htm

--
 Richard