Re: Letterpress

> From: Gerald Lange <Bieler@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
> Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 22:27:50 -0700
> To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
> Subject: Re: Letterpress

> I'd like to think I am a "good printer," and would "know the difference,"
> and I'd like to think I do, but I suggest you are wrong regarding your
> statement" In digitizing some of the beautiful old fonts, certain subtle
> qualities of the letters were lost." And what, may I ask, do you presume
> that these "certain subtle qualities" are?

How about optical compensation? These metal fonts were cut to different
specifications for different sizes. Standard digital faces aren't optically
compensated, although I believe that some high-end digital typesetting
systems do provide it. Adobe's Multiple Master system now enables you to
accomplish this automatically in InDesign (a truly great layout program, by
the way) with typefaces that support the feature.

--

JULES SIEGEL Apdo 1764 Cancun Q. Roo 77501
http://www.cafecancun.com