digital/metal differences (re: letterpress)

Back when I was a student in the Book Arts program at the University of
Alabama, a fellow student, Betsy Cluff, one of the more knowledgable and
accomplished printers amongst us, produced an incredible little book in
which she compared metal and digital types printed letterpress. If I
remember right, she compared them side by side: a piece of text set in
metal and printed letterpress on the verso, and on the recto, the same text
set in the same typestyle and point size, using Adobe fonts, printed
letterpress using photopolymer plates. The difference was amazing. The
metal type generally produced a much cleaner finished product. If the proof
is in the pudding, I'd take the metal over the digital whenever possible.

John Cutrone
Red Wagon Press
http://www.redwagonpress.com