Re: Footnotes in Quark

Yes, I know about FrameMaker and have tried it. I don't know anything about
Quark. I asked the question because it came up on another list and I thought
someone here might know the answer.

FrameMaker is a very capable program, but for me the ultimate long document
processor still remains Ventura Publisher, which has a full range of
referencing features that I really think have never been equaled by any
other desktop page layout program. People are still using the DOS version 2
(ca. 1988) because it is absolutely perfect in every way, although a bit
limited in handling images, as it used the old GEM interface, which was
based on the CPM operating system. GEM was astoundingly rapid and used very
little memory, but displayed only sixteen colors (I think--it's a long time
ago). Ventura 2.0 produced very good PostScript output, but its
font-handling was quite clunky. This was fixed in the Windows versions, but
a lot of the elegance of the rest of the program got lost.

Ventura does absolutely perfect footnotes that flow from page to page and
automatically update when the reference moves. You can carry out typographic
refinements such as vertical or horizontal paragraph rules specified to a
thousandth of a point. As I remember, FrameMaker makes you select your rules
from a pick list, none of which I really liked. It seemed to be more aimed
at production of lengthy manuals and other very complex documents than
typographically sophisticated books.

I last used VP 5, which was unbelievably buggy, having passed through Xerox
and then Corel and suffered a lot. I now have VP 7, but I haven't had the
occasion to use it. It seems excessively complicated, but I think that I
when I publish The Human Robot, however, I will fire up VP so that I can
incrust my book with footnotes, nested numerical references and all the
other glorious artifacts required for full academic credibility, plus the
joy of being able to do it, which is probably more important.