Ventura

I agree with Jules. Ventura was the best, until Corel got it and tried
to make it work with all the other Corel stuff. That's what I used for
Minsky in Bed (1988-96), which was computer incunabula.

http://minsky.com/mib.htm

After Corel bought Ventura from Xerox it did some more modern stuff,
like allowed output thru windows drivers. Before that I had to save it
as a postscript file and use a postscript interpreter to drive the
Canon BJ130.  But they lost a lot of interface elegance in the
conversion. The book is printed in black ink (that was before big
color inkjets) and hand colored and gilded, with historiated
illuminated initials and a text with inset commentary. Ventura made
that sort of page design a snap.

The Xerox GEM interface that it uses was the basis for both the MAC
and Windows operating systems.

--
 Richard
 http://minsky.com