Re: Photopolymer

Hi, I've been loosely following the discussion on letterpress
vs. digital type, and have seen this term pop up several times.
I think I know what it is, but I just want to make sure:
Is it the process where type is formed by first inputting to a
computer and then having synthetic (almost rubbery) type
output onto metal sheets for letterpress printing?

Thanks all,
Michelle

Dear Michelle

Essentially, yes. Though the description "synthetic (almost rubbery)" isn't
quite accurate. Metaphorically, it can be thought of as a casting process,
thus the type is not "synthetic." The computer file is generated as a high
resolution film negative, which is then exposed through UV light onto a plate
of photo-senstive polymer. Non-exposed areas are washed out, thus providing a
relief surface. The material is nylon-based, thus not "rubbery," though more
resilient than metal printing surfaces. The metal sheet is attached to a
magnetic base which brings the plate to type height for printing letterpress.

All best

Gerald