Identify Binding of This Book

A book dealer has given me a book to repair.  The book is Dickens'
Characters and it consists of a cover with traditional endpapers.  Then
there are about 20 plates that have no sewing stations, no binding methods
visible on the paper, and seem intentionally loose because all four edges
are gilt.  At one point, something had been attached to the inside spine
mull (an envelope?)because the mull is there coated with old hide glue; yet,
an enclosure (for the plates) appears unlikely because the second-to-last
page attached to the back endpapers has an etching on it in perfect
collation with the last loose plate.  If these plates were somehow enclosed
in an envelope of some kind, the enclosure would have come between the last
two pages of the book (interrupting the story and picture), the one page
that is loose, and the one page that is attached to the back endpaper. The
plates themselves show no indication that they have been attached within the
covers.  I am stumped!!  I hope I have not been hopelessly confusing.  Can
someone tell me what I am looking at?  I can repair this if I know how this
book was originally published and bound.
Thanks,
Karen Pardue
WhiteRiver Studio