Re: History of digital typography

At 07:39 AM 10/12/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Now this one is very definitely a bookarts topic. Here's my recollection,
>which is only a starting point:
>
>[1] Transitional period
>
>Although the output was lead, Monotype machines were driven by punched paper
>tape. The type itself resembled handtype -- individual pieces, but notched
>so that they hung together.

They were notched, but the notches had nothing to do with hanging the type
together. Actually, they notches were called "nicks." They had two
purposes: to aid the compositor in rapidly orienting the type in the
composing stick so that it all faced in the same direction; and (since the
number and depth of the nicks varied between type faces, and, between type
founders) to aid in sorting pied type by face and by foundry.

>  Much more precise than Linotype and very adept
>at difficult tasks such as setting tables.

The major difference between Linotype (and Intertype) and Monotype was that
the former produced _lines_ of type and the latter produced individual
characters (and diphthongs, etc.)
snip

>[3] Advanced Phototype
>
>Reverse leading (that is, going back up a galley, stepping over and going
>back down again),

Reverse leading actually was the removal of space between lines. Leading
was the adding of space between lines.

>snip

Rupert N. Evans
Prairie Publications