Japanese Stab Binding

I'm rather new to the Book Arts and have found this list
to be a wonderful resource. To that end, I'd like to ask
a question. What is the preferred method for Japanese
stab binding. I realize that's an ambiguous question, but
I'm being vague in order to solicit the maximum amount
of advice. ;-) I have a couple books (Ikegami, Keith White)
that have served me well in the rudimentaries, but I'm
sure there's some tips I'm missing. Like:

    What's the best tool to punch the holes with? I've
    run across a tool called a Japanese Punch that
    looked more specialized for this sort of thing,
    but at $70US I was loathe to try it. After having
    an awl snap in my hand, however, I'm thinking that
    maybe that $70 would be well-spent.

Anything you fine people can tell me will be appreciated.

::::

Sean Evans