Re: Japanese Stab Binding

In a message dated 10/12/01 7:28:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sevans@LUKMIREGRANT.COM writes:

>     What's the best tool to punch the holes with? I've
>     run across a tool called a Japanese Punch that
>     looked more specialized for this sort of thing,
>     but at $70US I was loathe to try it. After having
>     an awl snap in my hand, however, I'm thinking that

After putting off this purchase for several years, I bought one this summer.
I absolutely love it.  The ease of placement and relative kindness on the
muscles of the hand are just wonderful.

The bits are expensive to replace, I'm told, so I've been careful to put the
sheets on matboard to protect the bit when punching the holes.  There are 4
bits that came with mine -- 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, and 4mm which is just right for
standard post-and-screw posts.

I got mine from Brenda Broadbent, at Paper & Ink Arts, for $73 less the
special discount she offered one day at the calligraphy conference.
http://www.paperinkarts.com/toonew.htm

Regards,

Beth Lee
Tallahassee, Florida