Re: Japanese Stab Binding

I've just checked ProToolsDirect.com   Searched for punches. They have C.S.
Osborne Arch Punches in many sizes but I didn't see the set I have. If you
use only one or two sizes it might be cheaper to buy them separately. Their
1/4 arch punch is $11. 81.

Check out the site.

Betty

I have an Osborne K-157 mini-punch set that I suppose could be called the
poor man's Japanese punch. I've forgotten where I bought it, Possibly a
hardware store, but I'm sure it was less than $30. The supply sheet
included is headed: "C.S. Osborne Tools  Sold by industrial supply and
hardware distributors.

The K-157 set has a round handle with slot inside to clear punchings.
Handle is threaded to accommodate the seven replaceable screw tubes from
5/64  to  3/16.

I'm sure you could find one on the internet if you don't have a local source.

Happy hunting,

Betty

At 06:25 PM 10/12/01 -0700, you wrote:

>I'm rather new to the Book Arts and have found this list
>to be a wonderful resource. To that end, I'd like to ask
>a question. What is the preferred method for Japanese
>stab binding. I realize that's an ambiguous question, but
>I'm being vague in order to solicit the maximum amount
>of advice. ;-) I have a couple books (Ikegami, Keith White)
>that have served me well in the rudimentaries, but I'm
>sure there's some tips I'm missing. Like:
>
>    What's the best tool to punch the holes with? I've
>    run across a tool called a Japanese Punch that
>    looked more specialized for this sort of thing,
>    but at $70US I was loathe to try it. After having
>    an awl snap in my hand, however, I'm thinking that
>    maybe that $70 would be well-spent.
>
>Anything you fine people can tell me will be appreciated.
>
>::::
>
>Sean Evans

Betty Storz
PO Box 542