Re: Japanese Stab Binding

Hold everything!  I just found the source of my C.S. Osborne mini-punch
set. It's listed in the BookMakers 1994 catalog : T-HLPN-US  for $18.60. If
they still have it, I'm sure there has been a price increase but it still
will cost less than the Japanese punch, which is listed in the same catalog
at $58 and now costs $73.

Betty

 08:12 PM 10/12/01 -0700, you wrote:

>I've just checked ProToolsDirect.com   Searched for punches. They have C.S.
>Osborne Arch Punches in many sizes but I didn't see the set I have. If you
>use only one or two sizes it might be cheaper to buy them separately. Their
>1/4 arch punch is $11. 81.
>
>Check out the site.
>
>Betty

>I have an Osborne K-157 mini-punch set that I suppose could be called the
>poor man's Japanese punch. I've forgotten where I bought it, Possibly a
>hardware store, but I'm sure it was less than $30. The supply sheet
>included is headed: "C.S. Osborne Tools  Sold by industrial supply and
>hardware distributors.
>
>The K-157 set has a round handle with slot inside to clear punchings.
>Handle is threaded to accommodate the seven replaceable screw tubes from
>5/64  to  3/16.
>
>I'm sure you could find one on the internet if you don't have a local source.
>
>Happy hunting,
>
>Betty
>

>At 06:25 PM 10/12/01 -0700, you wrote:
>>          CENTRAL NEW YORK BOOK ARTS: TRADITIONAL TO INNOVATIVE
>>           See The Exhibition Online, And Order Your Catalog.
>>                      <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>>
>>I'm rather new to the Book Arts and have found this list
>>to be a wonderful resource. To that end, I'd like to ask
>>a question. What is the preferred method for Japanese
>>stab binding. I realize that's an ambiguous question, but
>>I'm being vague in order to solicit the maximum amount
>>of advice. ;-) I have a couple books (Ikegami, Keith White)
>>that have served me well in the rudimentaries, but I'm
>>sure there's some tips I'm missing. Like:
>>
>>    What's the best tool to punch the holes with? I've
>>    run across a tool called a Japanese Punch that
>>    looked more specialized for this sort of thing,
>>    but at $70US I was loathe to try it. After having
>>    an awl snap in my hand, however, I'm thinking that
>>    maybe that $70 would be well-spent.
>>
>>Anything you fine people can tell me will be appreciated.
>>
>>::::
>>
>>Sean Evans

>Betty Storz
>PO Box 542