Stab binding

First off, I'd like to say that I'll defer to Sam when it comes to Asian
bindings; he does beautiful work, and his knowledge is second to none.  I
use a drill, but I feel it's essential to make the inner binding.  First,
it just makes it easier to sew the covers and outer binding when the text
block is secure.  Second, the inner binding acts as a backup in case the
outer binding were to ever come undone.  And third, it just adds to the
strength of the overall binding.  Sam will take one of his finished books,
and as a demonstration of its binding strength, will fling the open book
across the room just to show how well it can hold up.  When I demonstrate
making these books, I emphasis the importance of the inner binding.  I also
usually call them Japanese-style bindings, because I'll often use
decorative papers from around the world, not just Japan, and I'll use
Western paper in the textblock.  Again, though, I make sure during
demonstrations to point this out.  The point of my demonstrations is to
show that it's relatively easy and inexpensive to bind your own books,
using easy to find materials, and still have something "exotic".

Alan Van Dyke
Austin, TX