Leatherette bible with Yapp edges

My current repair job is a  Study Bible, profusely annotated throughout. It
was previously bound as a limp binding with overhanhing (Yapp) edges. The
original cover is  paper, made to look like leather, which has cracked all
around the edges. The text block is tight, in fine condition. All it needs
is a new cover. Ideally, I would replace it with leather but the client
can't afford that.

Instead, I intend to use some leather-grained leatherette I have on hand.
But all my sources give instructions on this construction using leather.
Leatherette just doesn't act the same.

Has anyone had experience using leatherette for a limp, Yapp-edged book? If
the leatherette is not pasted down to the limp boards (bristol or red
board), must the back side be paste-washed? I tried doing that to the
leatherette but I didn't like what it did to the surface. Also, the
leatherette is not as pliable as leather when softened, making the rounded
corners more difficult to turn smoothly.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Betty
Betty Storz
Bookbinding, repair, restoration