Re: Stab binding (was Japanese stab binding)

I've been following Ikegami's intructions as closely as possible
and have elected to use an ice pick and mallet as suggested by
Pat. I had a problem with using the awl on a block of hanshi
3/4" thick. The paper was just too strong at this thickness
(a testament to Japanese papermaking). It was so strong that it
broke my awl (a testament to the cheapness of my awl). I figure
that an ice pick, being a larger version of a bookbinder's awl,
will be more effective without sacrificing the apparent benefits
of the awl as mentioned by Betty.

As to the inner binding, I find it to be an absolute necessity
during construction, as it allows me to keep the block squared
while stabbing the sewing stations and affixing the cover. I was
wondering, however, how the paper 'twists' in Ikegami's book are
actually forced through the durn holes. I've just been using
binder's thread instead.

::::

Sean Evans