Re: Stab Binding

>The ease of opening would also be greatly influenced by the type of paper
>that is used, and the grain direction of the paper.
>
>Cathy Atwood

Yes, Cathy, the text paper used in oriental books is usually quite thin;
the grain of the paper must be parallel to the spine.

I have noticed, also, in many stab-bound books I have seen, the spine piece
is wider than it needs to be and not enough space is provided for the hinge
in the top cover.  This space should be a little more than two thicknesses
of the board used in order for the book to open easily.

Betty

Betty Storz
PO Box 542
Mendocino, CA  95460