Re: Leatherette bible with Yapp edges

Betty,

I've used synthetic leather for Bible covers for years.  So far nothing has
ever come back with problems, but who knows--there's always tomorrow!

I don't much like doing the "divinity edge" with this stuff, but it does work.
 I make the edge a little narrower than I might with leather-- not over half
an inch.  The spine is always hollow, never a tightback, regardless of the
original binding.
The new case is usually made over bristol-weight card stock.

Once the case is finished but still wet, I normally emboss border lines around
the edges with straight edge and bone folder.  The tip of a palette knife
makes a good model for the corners.  Lines can be made on the spine as well

I dry the cover on the book, with blotter or folded absorbent paper inside and
outside.  The outside blotter is cut to the size of the cardstock, so that the
yapp edge is free.  Dense-cell foam panels (cut-down pieces of the kind of
stuff that hikers and skiers use under their sleeping bags) are placed over
and under the outside absorbent papers, topped by a pressboard and a heavyish
weight.  The dense foam causes the yapp to fold over a little as it airdries,
and the result is a fairly acceptable drape around the textblock.

In order to keep the embossed grain, I don't usually press the new damp cover.
 The leatherette that I have always used doesn't like PVA very well--it won't
lay out evenly on the fabric, resulting in bubbles and pockets in the cover.
To counter this I apply two thin coats of adhesive, letting the first one dry
before applying the second and making the case.  I get good adhesion this way
without heavy nipping.

Leatherette won't make a pretty yapp or divinity corner on the inside, but
then I have seen some very ugly clunky leather ones, too, that have come on
the original bindings.  I usually take a small square of fabric out of the
corner to reduce the amount of stuff that must be folded in, and this helps.
If I can talk the client OUT of a divinity edge, I'm happier.

I hope this makes your project a little easier, Betty,

Carol
Eugene, OR