Re: Stab binding

Sean:

You use very thin/strong Japanese paper. TEAR a little strip about 4" X 1"
and make a twisted "spit needle" at one end. Aim it through the first hole
in your text block and pull the tiny tip through the back. Then aim it
again through the other hole and pick it through to the first side. Then
tie a 1/2 knot (gently pulling, you can easily tear off the end) and put a
teensy drop from the end of a needle or awl into the knot to secure it.
Then take a wooden mallet and go *SMACK!* on the knot to flatten it. Trim
the ends close.

My Japanese master in Kyoto called this "just to keep body and soul
together" while working with the covers.

Good luck,

Pat Baldwin

I was