Re: Starting Out- How do I begin?

MLS in conservation from the University of Texas at Austin. To hone your
bench skills go to North Bennet Street after that. That way you can still
practice your book art. Going for an  MFA and then conservation is going to
be trickier as libraries (where most conservators work) really want the MLS
and the one from Texas in particular. If you're less ambitious about being
able to move up, you could get the bench skills and then start working as a
technician. Note, I did not go to Texas, but went the formal apprenticeship
and conservation coursework in Europe (Germany/Switzerland) route followed
by working with some VERY good conservators in private practice and in
institutions.

Peter

>Hello List!
>I am currently a senior working toward my BFA in printmaking, but i would
>really like to get into book conservation. I am exploring book art (my
>passion) for my BFA exhibit. I am planning on applying to MCAD in
>Minneapolis and Columbia College in Chicago. I need to get an internship
>next summer to fulfill my BFA requirements, and I am looking at a few
>places. Mainly I would just like some advice on how to get started, what it
>takes to be a practicing book artist/conservator, what schools are good,
>internship opportunities (have you got any?) etc. etc.
>
>Thanks a lot!
>-Jen Colbert

Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>