Re: Microlon, actually Miraclon

The brand name you're thinking of is "Miraclon", which also makes
photopolymer letterpress plates.

They work alright when used at the leisurely pace of Kwik-prints,
Kingsleys, and Kensols. They aren't suited for foil stamping at high
speeds (say, in Kluges) because they take too long to re-heat between
impressions. You can mount them with pressure-sensitive adhesive onto
a brass bar stock (or similar material) to fit them in the chase.

If anyone is interested, I sell raw plates, adhesive, and custom
sizes of brass bar stock. The water-wash polymer I use and sell, made
by Jet, costs $32 for an A4 (8.25x11.75) steel-backed plate with .037
face relief and "Super Hard" 90 Shore D Hardness. They can take
temperatures up to 360 degress F, whereas the less expensive
letterpress plates delaminate around 280. The polymer is the same
material, but it has a different adhesive holding it to the steel
backing. Contact me off-list for further information on any of these
products.

If you're not set up for making photopolymer plates, then I can
process plates as well. I charge a $25 minimum or $0.80/square inch
for hot foil plates (compared to $0.55 for letterpress plates).

I'm producing my 2002 catalog which lists these services in more
detail. My products are mainly for the digital letterpress printer.
Contact me if you'd like to receive a copy when it's ready later this
year.

Harold Kyle

--
Boxcar Press