Skin Deep vol.12 from J. Hewit & Sons

****This message has also been posted to other lists and we apologise for
its duplication****

We are pleased to announce the publication of Skin Deep, vol.12 at:
http://www.hewit.com/skindeep.htm

This year we have seen the completion of a two-year Pan-European Craft
Project BE-S2-3432 - "Development of Archival Quality Leather".
The project's participants came from tanners, bookbinders and research
bodies based in the UK, Germany, Italy and Greece.  Through this project, we
believe thet the definitive method has now been developed to produce truly
outstanding archival bookbinding leathers.  The new 'recipe' and the method
of tanning, allows for the production of leather with all the 'Archival'
qualities of strength, longevity etc, but equally importantly, this new
process allows for the production of leather which is eminently 'usable' by
the bookbinder.  We are really very pleased to bring you our scaled down
version of this report, explaining the background to the project, its
results and its conclusions.

A subject very close to our hearts, is the state of Bookbinding education.
So this issue sees an emphasis on the subject with an interesting article
about the excellent North Bennet Street School, in Boston, MA.  The London
College of Printing have supplied details of their existing and proposed
courses and we are also listing details of forthcoming short courses and
workshops around the UK.

Also in this issue, Richard Smart describes his binding of 'Tales from Ovid'
by Ted Hughes

And last, but not least, there are the usual regular features:  'Product and
Company News',  'Letters and Feedback'  and 'Dates for your Diary'

A full .pdf file of this edition of Skin Deep may be downloaded from the
'Downloads' page on our web site at: http://www.hewit.com/downloads.htm

We trust that you enjoy reading this edition of Skin Deep

kind regards,

David

David M. Lanning
J. Hewit & Sons Ltd.