Flag book delimma

I am trying to design an artists' book using Hedi Kyle's accordion flag
structure using image and text.  Each "flag" would have one line of text
near the bottom.  I run into the problem of having each flag partially
hidden by the one before it - and then hiding the one after it as well.

I've tried varying the width of the flags but it gets unyeildly *very*
quickly.

Has anyone used this structure with text or seen a successful book using it?
I'm not quite ready to change structures but that may be what the universe
it telling me

Thanks in advance.

Artemis BonaDea
North Bound Books