Re: pebble cloth?

In a message dated 10/29/01 9:58:18 AM, hales@BLOOMU.EDU writes:

<< I'm restoring a large 19th cent. folio for a client, and need a small
quantity of burnt umber colored pebble cloth. Does anyone have
any/know of a source? >>

I have been making my own facsimile 19th c. book cloth for restoration. While
any color can be made, the most difficult part is getting the right texture.
I use a fine, unbleached, untreated cotton muslin from TestFabrics (phone:
570-603-0432). It is faced with Japanese paper -- a light colored "Moriki"
type paper works well. The Japanese paper is then colored with acrylics and
allowed to dry. The surface is then sized with methyl cellulose and embossed
for texture. To create a pebble grain, a mesh screen can be used -- the first
embossing is done, and then a second embossing is done at a 45 degree angle
to the first. This technique was very successful in producing a 19th c. book
cloth. The resulting cloth was used for rebinding a first edition Horatio
Alger book that had been previously "Library Bound". The client was very
pleased with the result.
If anyone knows of a source for texturing materials, I am looking? Thanks. I
have thought of the leather suppliers, but their embossing plates are very!!!
expensive, and very thick and heavy. Do papermakers use something that could
be used for embossing?
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695