Looking for Non-destructive case binding technique

Hello all,

We have a number of customers who have old books from the 1800's that need
rebinding, but they are not able or willing to have the binding done in
it's original form. Does any one know of a non-destructive case binding
technique that can be used to temporarily cover the books until they can
afford to have them bound?

Currently, we oversew endsheets onto the text block for case bindings, but
that does some damage to the signatures. Any Ideas would be apreciated. If
we dont' provide them with some answer, they will most likely take it to
another binder in town that will not care about the condition of the book
and will just do what they ask.

Thanks
Randy