Re: Looking for Non-destructive case binding technique

Hi Randy
   I have a lot of nineteenth century materials to deal with at the library
where I work, some books and some pamphlet materials.  In some cases the paper
is sound, but in many instances it is not, and what one does can vary
greatly.   I think rebinding a nineteenth century book in its period style is
unwise if the paper is weak
   If I am doing a permanent recase or rebinding on a book from this period, I
usually use an inverted split board.   The kind I do does not use a hollow
tube, and I usually attach new endpapers as part of the recase.  I put an
oversized spine lining of heavy Japanese tissue over the spine with paste, and
use the flaps as a concertina to sew on the new endpapers. I do not tip them
down.  The end sheets are made with an airplane linen hinge.  For a temporary
case, you might consider a stiff paper case and put the linen hinge down with
paste or some other easily reversable adhesive with an eye to later reuse in a
more permanent binding of some kind.
  Best of  luck
    Dorothy Africa