Minsky in Bed

Another chapter from Minsky in Bed is up, for those who have been
reading these adventures. A caution to those new to this--it is for
mature audiences who are not offended by graphic language and explicit
erotic historiated, inhabited and illuminated initials.

http://minsky.com/lunchdate1.htm

The pages are laid out in the style of the incunabula, with parallel
text and commentary. This is a computer incunable, hand colored and
gilded inkjet on handmade paper, 1988-96. The chapter newly scanned,
Lunch Date, takes place in 1974. I used the hp scanjet 3400C and
compressed the files to about 200K, which loads fast enough at 56K.

Several people have complained about the image quality on the existing
pages from this book on the website. Those scans were done in 1998 and
compressed to about 80K for 14.4K modems. When I have some free time
(ha!), I'll scan those chapters at higher resolution.. The hp does not
do as good a job with the gold leaf as the old scans, which I think
was a Microtek Scanmaker E3. The gold comes out very dark on the hp.
Maybe the angle between the light source and the sensor is different.
You can see how much better the gold looks, for example, at
http://minsky.com/sheryl1.htm (or you can click on the thumbnail image
for "Sheryl and Cheryl page 1" at the above link). I'd be interested
in everybody's experience scanning illuminated pages.

If you haven't read any of this book, you may want to start with the
chain binding at
http://minsky.com/mib.htm

--
 Richard