Repair Job

Yesterday a client came into the shop with a late 19th c book of maps
that had been badly rebound, looking to have me put new covers on it.
I refused because the pages had been rehinged with cloth tape and
clunkily resewn. The hinges wouldn't have been such a bad idea, except
the grain of the paper is wrong.

I had the digital camera handy and put some pix of the problems at
http://minsky.com/repairjob111301.htm

The pages don't open flat and are heavily cockled near the spine. I
suggested they have the entire book unhinged and rehinged with a
strong Japanese-style paper, perhaps with the grain of the hinge paper
parallel to the grain of the pages (!?). I'm wondering if anyone has
experience with this situation and has tried such a solution, or has a
better idea.

My shop is not set up for "wet-work." I would be willing to
subcontract the rehingeing, or for that matter, pass the whole job on
to someone who is set up for this (if the price is acceptable to the
client). My suggestion on the binding is to resew the book on tapes,
lift the blind & gold stamped cloth off the original boards and place
them as an onlay on a new cloth case, and case the book in with cloth
hinges. Details about the spine (plain, tooled, perhaps a
leather-grained cloth as in the original) still have to be worked out
with the client.

The client may also still prefer to have the book recased as is (to
save $$), which I would not do, but someone else might be willing to
do.  If you have any interest in taking on this job, either just the
page work, the whole thing, or to recase it as is, please email me
off-list. If you have experience with this sort of problem, posting
suggestions about how to proceed would probably be of interest to the
list and useful to have in the list archive.

The client is in New York City, but I expect the book could be shipped
anywhere in North America.

--
 Richard
 http://minsky.com