Re: Work table

Kevin,

My bench is on casters, 8' long, 2' wide and 39" tall (I'm 6'2").  I like
the 2' width for ease of reaching plus the fact it allows moving it though
doorways when needed.  The proper bench height is a mainly a function of
your height and your preferred posture at the bench.  The best feature of my
bench is the enclosed shelving underneath.  As others have alluded to the
top per se is perhaps not so important if you will be covering it for day to
day working.  Mine is covered with binders board secured by duct tape.  Not
elegant but functional.  There was a discussion about a year ago on "Cutting
Surfaces" that can be found in the archive.

The bench is made up primarily of 2x4's and plywood.  The top is one sheet
of 3/4" plywood ripped down the middle with the two pieces on top of each
other. Hard maple finishes the outside edge of the top.  The whole bench is
painted and coated with polyurethane to aid in cleanup.  Have fun!

Ken Brownlow