Work Table

My work table top is a 82" x 36" x 1 3/4" door. It comes finished with a
hardwood veneer surface and most importantly has a core of solid wood. Very
heavy, very stable and looks kind of nice too. 38" high (I'm 6 feet tall)

The base/support is two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood at either end. This is
given stability by two 1/2" ply shelves one an inch or so off the floor the
other half way up the total height. Compression is applied to the frame by
threaded steel rods the run the length of the table just below each of these
shelves. Bolts on the rods outside the plywood ends supply the compression.
There are additional shelves, running the whole length/depth of the table
(4 to 9 depending on need) of 1/8" masonite supported by 1 x 1"s in between
the two fixed shelves. They are adjustable in their placement by the
standard hole and peg method. This gives lots of room for paper, boards
etc.. In fact most of my board and paper is stored there.
There are two 2 x4 's that run between the ends to help support the table
top and a masonite sheet across the back that provides additional stability
(and keep things falling out the back).

It is very stable very heavy. I have a big shop so moving it around is not
necessary. The top is about 1/3 tin for cutting and the rest is covered with
a sheet of Formica for easy clean up. I like it wide because it allows me
two move things that are drying under a weight or something to the back of
the back of the table and still have room to work. And there is plenty of
room for maneuvering large sheets of board or paper around on it.

Kurt Klappenbach
Loud Creek Books & Bindery
P.O. Box 8120
Bangor, ME   04402-8120