Re: Literacy and book arts

>I'm told there are some favorable
> studies out there..... We would certainly like to
> do fundraising armed with information and statistics, if they are around.

Katie -

It's also helpful to be aware of the studies your grantmakers may have seen
that are not favorable.

There was a controversial Harvard report last year that showed that studying
the arts does not enhance academic achievement. Some arts advocates feared
the study would give funders and school boards amunition to cut arts budgets
even further. There is much commentary about this study on the web and many
conclude that offering the arts as merely a buttress for other "essential"
subjects does nothing to promote the value of the arts.

Granted, book arts have a much more direct and easily explained link to
writing than dance, music, etc., but it's still good to be armed with a
broad base of information in case someone throws this at you.

You can read an article that the authors of the report wrote at:
http://www.edweek.org/ew/ewstory.cfm?slug=09winner.h20

with best wishes,
Roberta

Pendleton, Oregon