Re: Literacy and book arts

Roberta - thanks for the URL for the Harvard Study. I have been waiting a
long time for artists and arts educators to stand up and say that the arts
have value in and of themselves and for their own unique reasons. I have also
gotten very weary of the insistence among granting organizations that every
request for funding be somehow linked to academics. At every level of arts
education, including the attempt by universities to "discipline" art and
artists so that it and they can be quantified in the same way other areas of
study are quantified (so that artists must "write" theses instead of their
art being the thesis), artists have been required to justify what they do and
to bring it into line with what non-artists do and can understand.

I'm sure, just with the little I have said here, that there will be much
response from the list. I'll be reading! Barbara Harman