Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 22 Nov 2001 to 23 Nov 2001 (#2001-315)

During my professional experience as an artist-in-residence for various
organizations I've seen lots of approaches to the justification of art in
the schools.  Studio In A School in New York City has a program that links
art and reading (literacy) and in some of our training we made lists of
crossover areas (sequencing, center of interest, background/environment,
rhythm - Also involved were hand/eye coordination, shape recognition, and so
on.) So that is one approach. I was also involved in a program that used
Howard Gardners' work done at Harvard on the Seven Intelligences.  He wrote
at least one book about this. (which I haven't read). This might be a good
place to start.  Gardner lists Visual Intelligence as one of the seven.  The
point is that organizing material visually requires just as much
intelligence as verbal or mathematical skills.  I think he's right.  When
you are bringing order out of chaos-or seeing form evolve out of
formlessness, in art or business or politics, it's all a matter of seeing
form and, in a sense, beauty (or truth) emerge. On a more literal level,
I've linked art (pop-up books) with oral history, social studies, poetry and
so on.  In one grant proposal with which I'm involved, we want to invite a
class from an Inner City school to come and work with a class from a
suburban school to make giant pop-ups. I think we all know that our own work
in the arts and as viewers of the work of others  helps us to get through
the day, the months and years in times of crisis and in times of happiness.
What more can we ask? All fields require the practice of intuition as well
as logic-and book-making in particular is a beautiful blend of the two.  Add
to that its variability and application to all aspects of culture-and you
certainly have an effort that should speak for itself.  All best wishes in
your application process.  Barbara Valenta