Re: MAINE BOOK ARTS INQUIRY

R.D.: I have done a few apprenticeships in Maine, and it's a wonderful
place for a book artist. Look for David Wolfe in Portland, as the earlier
message said. Also, Walter Tisdale is an incredible letterpress printer
in Bangor. Two of my apprenticeships were at the Shaker Press at the
Sabbathday Lake Shaker Community in New Gloucester, but Brother Arnold
can be a bit reclusive when it comes to letting outsiders into his
printshop. George Cash, who, with his late wife Barbara, ran Ives Street
Press, is in Sweden, Maine. And there are a number of excellent
papermakers, as well.... the name &quot;(Something) and Magnani&quot;
rings a bell, and they're on the coast near the Canadian border. And
bookbinders, of course... Gray Parrot, who else? I can't recall.<br>
The art museum in Portland, which may be called either Portland Museum of
Art or Maine Museum of Art--it's the nice brick I.M. Pei building
downtown--held an exhibit just a few years ago, 1996, I think, of Maine
Book Arts. If you can get hold of a catalog of the exhibition, you'll be
amazed at the bookish things going on in the Pinetree State, and it would
introduce you to the scores of artisans I'm forgetting. All of them are
working in Maine.<br>
Also, last I was in Portland, there was a book arts cafe at 61 Pleasant
Street in Portland, the same place you'll find David Wolfe of Wolfe
Editions. It may still be there. It's called Zygot. Good place for tea,
cookies and inspiration.<br>
Good luck!<br>
John Cutrone<br>
Red Wagon Press<br>
to Maine in the near future, we would be deeply appreciative of any
suggestions concerning bookmakers, bookbinders, suppliers, booksellers,
publishers, book courses, teachers, or just plain book lovers who are
located in the Portland through Mid-Coast areas. Many thanks in
advance.<br>
Regards,<br>