Maine Book Arts Query

There's more!  I'm afraid I waited until after others replied so I could add
on rather than start from scratch as there are lots of possibilities in
Maine for book artists.

Michael Alpert runs the press at the University of Maine in Orono and that
area has a number of book artists / calligraphers such as Nancy Ruth Leavett
and Jan Owen.  Walter Tisdale is in that area, as well as Siri Beckman, an
artist and printer and Anne-Claude Cotty who both are in Stonington, Maine.
Haystack of course is heaven on earth and there are workshops there all
summer as well as special workshops spring and fall for various groups e.g.
Maine, New England residents; Maine College of Art students; Maine art
teachers; Maine Crafts Association.)

The Baxter Society meets in Portland, although I don't know as much about
the organization as I would like too.  There have been frequent shows of
book artists at sites such as Colby College, Bates College, and the Portland
Public Library, Center for Maine Contemporary Art in Rockport.  Crystal
Cawley teaches book arts at the Portland Museum of Art; David Wolfe at Maine
College of Art; Rebecca Goodale at University of Southern Maine.  Other book
artists you might want to meet include Kate Chappell, Kennebunkport; Martha
Hall, Orr's Island; Allison Brown, Yarmouth; Mary Howe, Deer Isle; Barrett
Brewer, Deer Isle; Jolanda DeLevie, Orr's Island.

There are a number of paper sources including Artist and Craftsmen in
Portland; the Art Center (?) in Bath; Paper Warehouse in Portland;
Fiddlehead in Rockport and Rock Paper Scissors in Wiscasset.

PBI will be at Haystack this spring, as will Emily Martin doing a book
workshop for Maine artists.

The Maine Fiberarts Directory in Brunswick, Maine -- a statewide
organization -- is including book artists who use handmade paper.

Gregor and Vanzeni (oops on spelling) are papermakers in Whiting Maine.
Richard Lee in Brunswick and Georgiana Kuhl in Harpswell are paper artists.

I'm sorry if I've left anyone out -- and am sure I probably did.  There are
lots of us, lots of workshops, and lots of enthusiasm.

Martha Hall
76 Dipper Cove Road
Orr's Island, ME 04066