permission to use fees

Good morning all - I've published several limited edition books and have
been granted permission to use texts by copyright holders - either the
writer or publisher. I've never been asked to pay a permission to use
fee until now. Is there a standard range of percentage for permission to
use text? I remember reading/hearing that the standard is 3-10% of the
total retail sales but can't find the reference. The publisher
requesting the fee is asking for a flat fee that amounts to 20% of total
resale sales, which is too high for me to proceed with the project as
planned, and may be too high for me to proceed at all. Any body have any
experience or recommended sources for more information? Thanks, Alicia
Bailey, Ravenpress